Course Description: This one-day course will provide an active learning environment for therapists and assistants to gain knowledge of the appropriate tools to evaluate the geriatric patient in an objective manor with respect to balance, gait, strength and endurance and select innovative interventions to maximize their functional abilities. It is designed to expose the clinician to functional scale evaluation in an evidence-based mode. Insights into these tests will be provided to cover functional assessments of clients from the acute care setting through community dwelling older adults. Included will be active participation of how to design your interventions (such as body-weight supported treadmill protocols) and goals based on the scale results to effect a positive change in your geriatric patients. The day will conclude with the exploration of appropriate clinical decision making in each setting by participant activities presented in case study format for practical application with video clips showcasing innovative treatments.
Course Objectives: After attending this course, participants will be able to:
- Choose and implement the appropriate functional scale for their patient status and setting.
- Identify reliable reimbursement and marketing options for fall prevention programs.
- Develop objective measurable treatment interventions and goals based on the functional scales used.
- Discuss the rationale and purpose for each functional scale presented.
- Quantify a geriatric patients balance, fear of falling and fall risk using the functional scales presented.
- Make a greater impact on reducing falls in their community!
|7:30 – 7:55||Registration|
|7:55 – 8:00||General conference information|
|8:00 – 9:50||Age-specific changes with balance|
|9:50 – 10:00||Break|
|10:00 – 10:15||Functional Scale Assessment: What can I do differently in the clinic tomorrow?|
|10:15 – 11:45||Balance and Gait Assessments|
|11:45 – 12:45||Lunch on your own|
|12:45 – 1:30||Muscular Strength and Endurance Assessments|
|1:30 – 2:40||Innovative Treatment Interventions. Videotape applications.|
|2:40 – 3:00||Reimbursement for your fall prevention program|
|3:00 – 3:15||Break|
|3:15 – 4:15||Putting it all together: Case Study Activities|